Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Dumps


Depression.

That was the diagnosis handed down to me by the fellow in the Department of Family Medicine on a random Monday afternoon.

I've long thought that mental health was an illness, a disease. Something that you couldn't rub some dirt on or suck it up. You needed to be appropriately treated, just as you would the flu or some virus.

But the thing is....

I never thought it would happen to me.

It's been an odd time since I was given that diagnosis. I've been placed on some medication and I've spoken with a counselor. I think I'm doing better. I think.

In the meantime, I'll keep improving. I'll get better and slowly find my way back into the light. Back to my happiness.

But I won't be ashamed. 1 in 5 adults will experience some type of depression this year.

That's a big number. That means there are a lot of us dealing with this illness. And it is nothing to be ashamed of.

So today, I'm sharing my story. And I'm going to continue to get better. And eventually, I'll hopefully be feeling like myself again.

But in the meantime, I'm going to give myself a little TLC and do what it takes to be healthy again.





No comments:

Post a Comment